Thursday, November 28, 2013

Free Write

Sometimes the thought of writing overwhelms people and they give up before even trying. I'll admit, there are times when it gets overwhelming and writing isn't for everyone; however, like any new skill or job, you learn as you do.
Just today I was thinking about an activity that I used to do in my creative writing class and thought to share it with you. 
The exercise is called Free Writing.
It helped me learn to listen to the voice in my head (or voices haha).
The basic idea is, set yourself an allotted amount of time, for example: ten minutes. Grab a pen and paper and start writing. Write for the entire ten minutes. 
Start writing about the first thing that pops into your mind, doesn't matter what it is, just write it and keep writing. Your mind will go off on rabbit trails, write those too. 
The idea of free write is to write your thoughts and then later you can go back and read them and see how far off the original subject you've gotten. I've done this a few times and every time I laugh because it's so random.
Sure, Free Writing may not help you get a book published or anything, but it's a fun exercise to get you into a flow. Sometimes, we hear our inner voice so often that we ignore it. Well your mind is bursting with creativity that is just waiting to be unleashed!
This exercise is mostly for fun, and you can just throw the paper away when your done, or you can keep it. It's up to you. 
This is also a good activity if you've been struggling with writers block. Perhaps taking a step away from your project for a moment and writing about something else is enough to kick start your creative juices.
Anyway, there you go. If you do this exercise, let me know what you thought about it. 

Happy Writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment